As much as I love traveling and exploring new places, I always have a giddy happy feeling coming back home. It was hard to make such a short list but here are a few reason why Chicago…also known as Chi-town… is better than living anywhere else :)
“… And each time I roam, Chicago is calling me home, Chicago is why I just grin like a clown – It’s my kind of town…” Sinatra
25. We love to cover popcorn with delicious carmel and cheese, lines wrap around the corner at Garrett Popcorn Shops for a good reason.
24. Pretty much every hilarious person in America started off at Second City. Bill Murray, Stephen Colbert, Tina Fey is just to name a few.
23. We are a city that appreciates art…whether that’s giant sculptures seen around town, cows climbing buildings, or free museum days!
22. Chicago Lollapalooza has the greatest view of any paloozas anywhere. Period.
21. We live next to Oprah, Joan Cusack, Vince Vaughn or Andrew bird but don’t make a big deal of it since we are too busy with our own lives to notice.
20. For all you dedicated bikers…or newly born bike lovers inspired by Divvy, there’s a whole week dedicated to you filled with bike related activities and events throughout Chicago and the burbs.
19. We have over 29 miles of beach in the city!
18. If you do have to leave Chicago for whatever reason…O’hare or Midway is easily accessible with the EL.
17. Being one of the most culturally rich cities you can pretend to be German at Octoberfest, an art+design major at SOFA Chicago, or foodie at Taste of Chicago. We dye our rivers green because we feel that Irish for a weekend.
16. From giant research universities, urban campuses, and top rated culinary schools in America…there’s something for everyone!
15. Chicago’s night scene exists 7 days a week from roof top lounges to underground clubs to sports bars. Whether it’s late night blues sets at Kingston Mines or looking your best at Paris Club… there’s just way too many options to wait in line.
14. All of our favorite sports teams play within the city and we are always just a quick ride from Wrigley Field, United Center, Soldier Field, U.S. Cellular Field…whether that’s a good or bad thing.
13. With over 500 parks there’s always a park near by…Lincoln Park gets over 20 million visitors a year!
12. Chicago is easy to navigate thanks to the simple grid system and thanks to Daniel Burnham
11. Our wonderful city made the cut…Chicago was voted into the top 10 cities to visit in 2014 by Lonely Planet.
10. We may have a fan page for how much we hate the new Ventra cards…but can’t complain too much since we use it to get around the city for only about $2!
9. Our streets are (almost) always clean, thank goodness for alleys!
8. We have some of the best restaurants in the universe with countless award winning chefs and I’m not just talking about 5 star restaurants like ‘Girl & the Goat’…Hot Dougs draws just as much attention and stomachs!
7. You may be single or alone..but you never feel lonely caught up in all of Chicago’s fabulous affairs. It’s never too early to start looking forward to this summers festivals.
6. Grabbing a fresh copy of the Redeye in the morning is a delight.
5. There’s absolutely no excuse to drink and drive, the 3 foot long pink mustaches serves as a reminder to us all. Thanks Lyft!
4. There is always someone crazier than you on the CTA…always!
3. Willis Tower? Really? Chicagoans forever and ever will call Sears Towers…Sears Tower!
2. We love Chicago…but the best part is that Chicago loves you back!
1. We have mastered how to deal with the harshest winters but still manage to be the most beautiful city when everyone else in the midwest is frozen and miserable.
Perhaps the best thing about Chicagoans is their modesty. Northwestern University President Schapiro, himself an east coast native and former President of Williams College, described it: “I love the civility, I love the humility, I love the respect, I love the friendliness, I love the lack of entitlement.”